News Flash


Posted on: October 14, 2021

Customers Urged to Seek Help for Utility Payments

Customer visits Customer Service Office.

 The State moratorium on shut-offs due to non-payment during the Pandemic has ended and, utility companies, including the BPU, may now disconnect services in these situations.  Customers who have overdue BPU bills are urged to apply for help now.

The Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) Regular Arrears Supplement (RAS) benefits through the Chautauqua HEAP Department at (716)661-8103  or (716)753-4998 is a relatively new program.  Eligible applicants can apply for help on a first-come, first-served basis until September, 2022, or until funds are depleted.  Information is available by visiting the NYS Office of Temporary Disability at  Regular HEAP, Emergency HEAP and RAS may be contacted at the numbers in this paragraph.

The NYS Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) assists with back rent and utilities and the application requires help from landlords or facility managers.  Information on how to apply is located at:  Landlords who need help completing applications may contact: at the Real Estate Investors Association in Jamestown.  

Other sources for help:  

Department of Health & Human Services:  (716)661-8200/753-4998; help with electric, water, sewer;                                                                                                           Chautauqua Opportunities, Inc. (COI):  (716)661-9430; link for information is;  help with past due rent & utilities, up to six months in arrears;

Johnson/BPU Good Neighbor Fund:  Contact the Salvation Army at (716)664-4108; help with overdue bills for customers who normally pay their BPU bills, receive no government help for utilities and who suffer a hardship that prevents them from paying their bills.

Facebook Twitter Email