Provisions and Fees Applicable to All Customers
All residential rates within the City of Jamestown constitute a basic service charge on a per dwelling unit basis and are charged without regard to unit occupancy or utilization of the service provided. A reduced rate for multiple-unit housing is available if the landlord chooses to pay sanitation charges for all units on one account.
- Dwelling Unit: Any room or combination of rooms, with cooking and toilet facilities, intended for occupancy by one or more persons.
- Residential Service: Curbside household garbage and recycling pick-up.
- Commercial Service - Small Entity: Curbside garbage and recycling pick-up with waste stream similar to residential customers.
- Commercial Service - Medium Entity: Curbside garbage and recycling pick-up with waste stream two times that of a residential customer.
- Exemption from basic service charge: After a twelve-month vacancy, any dwelling unit that is made unavailable for dwelling purposes, by law or discretion of the owner, may be exempted from the basic service charge upon the filing of a sworn statement of the owner that the unit is not occupied and not intended to be occupied at any time in the future. A standard form affidavit is available from the BPU Customer Service Department.
Garbage and recyclables must be placed at the curb the night before scheduled pick-up, no earlier than 4:00 p.m.
All containers and/or uncollected trash and debris must be removed from the terrace within twelve hours of the trash collection. If items are at the curb more than twenty-four hours before or after the regular collection time, a $25 fee will be charged to the Solid Waste account.
Garbage must be bagged, weigh less than 40 lbs. per bag and be placed in the assigned container with the lid closed; loose garbage will not be collected.
Garbage placed in individual bags on the lid of the assigned container or separately on the ground will be collected for a fee of $25 per occurrence plus $5 per bag for the remainder of the 2021 calendar year.
The Jamestown Board of Public Utilities (BPU) reserves the right to refuse any trash or recycling items that show evidence of bed bug or cockroach activity.
- One-time extra garbage collection from BPU assigned green container scheduled for the day before or after normal collection - $10
- Fee for bins not returned - $15
- Processing fee for recycling bin replacement (orange with bar code) - $15
- Purchase cost of additional recycling bins (blue) - $12
- Fee for replacement of assigned garbage container - $75
- Processing fee for locating or swapping garbage container - $25
- Eligible scheduled collection of special items (up to 4 items/week) - $10 per item
- Scheduled collection of televisions/computer monitors - $40 each
- Fee for garbage and/or containers at the curb outside of designated times - $25
- A collection fee of $25 will be assessed on the next bill if the customer’s service is subject to disconnection and payment is received at the customer’s premises.
Residential Garbage and Recycling Services
All customers will receive a credit per month for participating in the Residential Recycling Credit Program.
Off-Route Collection Fee
In situations where a sanitation worker is redirected to collect trash that is not on their regular scheduled route, and is at the request of the city inspector, property owner or resident, the fee to collect will be $50 plus full rate per item collected.
Multi-unit Housing Rates for once per week collection
- 2 to 5 dwelling units - $13 per unit
- 6 to 10 dwelling units - $15.55 plus $10.46 per unit
- 11 to 15 dwelling units - $44.23 plus $7.29 per unit
- 16 dwelling units or more - $86.93 plus $4.75 per unit
Commercial Garbage Dumpster Service
The BPU provides 3, 4, 6 or 8 yard dumpsters with flexible emptying cycles service. Standard options are listed below, contact the Garbage Hotline to discuss additional options. Learn more about our commercial garbage dumpster service.
|1X per week||2X per week||Every other week|
|2 yard dumpster||$39.00||$65.00||$26.00|
|3 yard dumpster||$52.00||$91.00||$39.00|
|4 yard dumpster||$65.00||$117.00||$52.00|
|6 yard dumpster||$91.00||$169.00||N/A|
|8 yard dumpster||$117.00||$221.00||N/A|