Provisions and Fees Applicable to All Customers
All residential rates within the City of Jamestown constitute a basic service charge on a per dwelling unit basis and are charged without regard to unit occupancy or utilization of the service provided. A reduced rate for multiple-unit housing is available if the landlord wishes to pay sanitation charges for all units on one account.
- Dwelling Unit: Any room, or combination of rooms, with cooking and toilet facilities, intended for occupancy by one or more persons.
- Residential Service: Curbside household garbage and recycling pick-up.
- Commercial Service - Small Entity: Curbside garbage and recycling pick-up with waste stream similar to residential customers.
- Commercial Service - Medium Entity: Curbside garbage and recycling pick-up with waste stream 2 times of a residential customer.
- Exemption from basic service charge : After a 12 month vacancy, any dwelling unit that is made unavailable for dwelling purposes, by law or discretion of the owner, may be exempted from the basic service charge upon the filing of a sworn statement of the owner that the unit is not occupied and not intended to be occupied at any time in the future. A standard form affidavit is available from the BPU Customer Service Department.
Garbage and recyclables must be placed at the curb the night before scheduled pick-up, no earlier than 6:00 p.m.
All containers and/or uncollected trash and debris must be removed from the terrace within 12 hours of the trash collection. If items are at the curb more than 24 hours before or after the regular collection time, a $10 fee will be charged to the Solid Waste account.
Garbage must be bagged and weigh less than 40 lbs. per bag. It is required that bags be placed in a sturdy garbage can with a lid to prevent animal damage. Individual garbage bags, recycling bins, yard waste bags or other items heavier than 40 pounds will be tagged and refused.
The Jamestown Board of Public Utilities (BPU) reserves the right to refuse any trash or recycling items that show evidence of bed bug or cockroach activity.
- Excess bag fee (over 8 per week) - $3 per bag
- Fee for bins not returned - $10
- Processing fee for recycling bin replacement (orange) - $10
- A collection fee of $25.00 will be assessed on the next bill if the customer’s service is subject to disconnection, and payment is received at the customer’s premises.
Residential Garbage and Recycling Services
All customers will receive a credit of $10.50 per month for participating in the Residential Recycling Credit Program.
Commercial Trash Services
For dumpsters and curbside collection, please contact the Board of Public Utilities (BPU) Garbage hotline for availability and pricing information.
Sections 224-1 through 224-7 of City Code make recycling mandatory within the City of Jamestown. See Garbage and Recycling Guidelines for more information.
Residential Recycling Credit Program (RRCP)
Residential-class customers of the BPU are eligible to participate in the Residential Recycling Credit Program. Participating customers must place recyclable materials at the curb with their garbage using the (orange) BPU recycling container provided for that purpose. The recycling container has a radio frequency chip built into it which is read by a reader on the recycling truck. Customers who recycle, with their assigned bin, within a billing period will receive a recycling credit on their monthly bill. Participation is tracked through the use of the assigned orange bin at the assigned address only. Credit will not be issued for the use of alternate containers, bins assigned to other customers, or for the usage of bins at the wrong address.
Customers who regularly participate in the RRCP, but will be out of town and unable to recycle for two or more billing periods, may receive the recycling credit during their absence by completing and submitting a "Statement Attesting to Being Away from Property". Customers who do not regularly participate in the program will not be entitled to the credit during times of absence.
Orange recycling bins are the property of the Jamestown BPU. If the original bin is lost, stolen, or damaged, customers can contact the Garbage Hotline to request a replacement bin. The replacement bin is programmed and delivered directly to the residence and the bin processing fee is billed to the account.
Recycling within the City of Jamestown is required by law. Customers who choose not to participate in the RRCP must recycle by another means.
The BPU provides enhanced solid waste and recycling pickup for residential customers that are unable to place their garbage at the curb due to a documented physical condition. Porter service is the collection of items from a designated area not at the curb.
To be eligible for participation, customers must provide the solid waste department with appropriate medical documentation in the form attached. Eligibility for enhanced pick-up will not exceed the time stated in the medical documentation. Approval will be valid for up to two years. After two years, documentation will need to be resubmitted. Porter service is available in the City of Jamestown solid waste territory only and will not be available in the optional solid waste territories including but not limited to Kiantone, Busti, Fluvanna, and Ellicott areas.
Off-Route Collection Fee
In situations where a sanitation worker is redirected to collect trash, that is not on his regular scheduled route, and is at the request of the city inspector, property owner, or resident, the fee to collect will be $50 plus full rate per item collected.
Multi-unit Housing Rates for once per week collection
- 2 to 5 dwelling units - $13 per unit
- 6 to 10 dwelling units - $15.55 plus $10.46 per unit
- 11 to 15 dwelling units - $44.23 plus $7.29 per unit
- 16 dwelling units or more - $86.93 plus $4.75 per unit
Commercial Garbage Dumpster Service
The BPU provides 3, 4, 6 or 8 yard dumpsters with flexible emptying cycles service. Standard options are listed below, contact the Garbage Hotline to discuss additional options. Learn more about our commercial garbage dumpster service.
|1X per week||2X per week||Every other week|
|2 yard dumpster||$39.00||$65.00||$26.00|
|3 yard dumpster||$52.00||$91.00||$39.00|
|4 yard dumpster||$65.00||$117.00||$52.00|
|6 yard dumpster||$91.00||$169.00||N/A|
|8 yard dumpster||$117.00||$221.00||N/A|